Saturday 3 November 2007

Catch-up!

Ok! I've been a bit busy the last few days...time to go back a bit.

After my nightshift at Rothera - which ended uneventfully - I took a nap and woke up at noon, to find that our flight was coming in at 5pm. I packed, and said my good-byes, and had dinner, alongside the pilots. We loaded up our stuff into the plane, shown below. When I saw it, the first thing I thought was "Nice try, Lao Che!"


Anyone? Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? Ok, never mind. The plane was decidedly less comfortable than the Dash from Punta - no heating except for an extremely hot cylindrical object that spanned the plane at boot level. So, my left foot was burning, and everything else was freezing.

We got into Halley at 4:30am GMT (which is what Halley runs on; apologies for an earlier comment to the contrary). A pleasant surprise awaited us - the entire Halley winter team was waiting, for an enthusiastic welcome. Of course, we also brought their first fresh produce in a long time, so that may have had something to do with their enthusiasm.

So, I'm here now, and I've been busy going out on trips, organizing my desk, and doing some basic field trips. And, lucky me, one of these trips was to the local Emporer penguin colony. A picture!

These pictures are gold, and I'll save some of the others for filler when I haven't got anything else to show. And there will be several periods of nothing, believe me. The penguins will be leaving as soon as the sea ice breaks up, which will probably be in the next month or two.

And now, off to the lounge. Halley also has a band, and it's currently playing. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm unappreciative.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Yay! Penguins!

Anonymous said...

I'd like a penguin, please!

Sophie

Anonymous said...

Ryan, no man has ever looked sexier to me than you sitting amongst a colony of penguins (Nicole forwarded me a photo).

I am excited to hear about your adventures and eager to see more penguin photos. So cool!

Nikie

Ryan said...

Why thank you, Nikie! Although any sex appeal would be diminished if you smelled the place. I neglected to mention that penguin poo is one of the rankest substances on earth. Any pictures of me were wisely taken between instances of severe nausea.

And Sophie, I'll see if I can sneak you one out. It shouldn't be too hard.